"Meet the John Grisham of banking" - That's the Wall Street Journal line printed across the cover of the book. And honestly, I couldn't agree more!
Considering I'm not really into finance; and not too interested in numbers I wondered if this was a book I'd enjoy, but the jacket-cover was way too intriguing and I couldn't not read the book! And I'm very glad I did!
So if disinterest in banking, numbers, etc. is the root of your scepticism, be rest assured, this book doesn't need it!
And now getting straight to what I liked and didn't like about the book!
When it comes to creating the atmosphere in an urban bank, the author has nailed it to perfection. The politics, the rush to meet targets, the competition between branches, the loopholes that get exploited; all of it has been wonderfully captured.
Even the relationships that go beyond our traditional framework but are an essential part of our life e.g. that between Raymond and Harshita; have been expressed exactly how they exist in real life. They’re very relatable. So also, the issues faced by modern couples stuck in a corporate career that leaves no time for anything else.
Another thing that really works for the book is the sequence in which it’s written. Most thrillers go from creating a setting – describing the mystery – describing the investigation – nailing the culprit.
This one takes a slightly different sequence.
It creates the setting – describes the crime – reveals the culprit – and then describes how the crime was carried out. So even after you know who the criminal is, you’re still excited to read further and figure out HOW!
The characters are etched very well; and none seems like an extra or a waste that’s there just for the heck of it! Be it the sassy Zinaida, angst-stricken Krishna, Jayakrushna with a shrouded past or even a seemingly nondescript Kalyan Singh, each one complements and brings out the facet of the other. Just to give an example, a simple line in the book about Kalyan Singh being lost in amidst all the attention being showered on Zinaida is a stark representation of what many trainee managers undergo in their first jobs when up against someone who’s smarter, hotter, or better connected than they are!
The one thing I did not like much was the description of a particular murder (naming the character would amount to being a spoiler; and those who’ve read the book will get it anyways). The description was a little too graphic for me. Kind of put me off. I did realize later that those details were necessary because they provided an integral key to solving the mystery, I just still wish it was a little less detailed!
And the other thing that disappointed me was the last clue that made Karan realize who the culprit was. Not like it wasn’t logical or anything, it was pretty much in sync; but just that after that entire build-up, the clue was just too normal. I personally would have liked something a little more dramatic! ;)
But all in all, a wonderful read! And very unputdownable! And intriguing right to the end!
Very recommended!
P.S. – This happens to be the ONLY thriller I’ve read where I actually never tried thinking about who the culprit is. I just read on and on, went with the flow and knew all along the 2-3 characters who it could be, and it was one of them. But I didn’t figure out till the end, and more importantly, I never got bored enough to stop reading and try to think about who it was!
This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com . Participate now to get free books!

0 comments:
Post a Comment