So this is a book that tells the story of a Harvard Graduate, with an almost not-normal talent and fascination for music and his roller-coaster ride into love, life, and Indian politics.
“You can’t outrun fate...” That’s the line on the cover page and it actually sums up the book.
I love the fact that each character, Siddhartha, Rubaya, Karisma, Greg, have an independent story of their own. Irrespective of the fact that somewhere in the scheme of things their destinies intertwine and they have a huge impact on each others’ lives, their individual journey along their tryst with fate makes for a very good read.
The detailing when it comes to creating a context and describing the setting, Tabrik C totally nails it. Be it the fancy life of owning a house in Malabar Hill and a factory in New Mumbai, or the different rooms in 7 RCR, or a great Indian wedding, or Mumbai’s seaside; he really makes you see all of that in your mind’s eye. One of my favourite parts is the description of Siddhartha’s angst when he can’t feel at home in 7 RCR, except for when he is in his study, with his Yamaha. Even the descriptions of Siddhartha’s music madness make you feel like you are right there, living them with him.
I also like how some chapters end with the name of a music symphony, which is also a title of the next chapter and works like a bridge connecting different time zones in the story.
Another thing I really liked which is more because of a personal preference for that kind of writing; is that the story is not told linearly. It is not a series of incidents that happen one after another. The author keeps taking you from one time zone into another, from one world into another, but does it so smoothly, that as a reader, you’re on a fast ride, albeit an enjoyable one.
While the book is generally smooth sailing, it has its moments that make you go whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! The first one came pretty earlier on (won’t tell you what because it would be a spoiler) but I was so shocked, I actually tweeted to the author telling him it’s not fair to do that. The other one came along towards the end, and I actually read it twice to make sure i got it right. Then I stopped, went over what I had read, trying to figure out if there were clues I could have picked up earlier on, but didn’t find any.
Another thing that struck me about the book was how real the characters were. Kabir’s matter-of-fact way of dealing with situations I could totally relate to. Even the interactions between Kabir and Siddhartha, still coming to terms with the reality of their relationship were expressed nicely. But my favourite is the whole story between Rukmini Devi and Siddhartha. From arch rivals, to shrewd politicians, to their clash, acknowledgement of each others’ good moves in the political arena and eventual destined end; that entire part of the plot is AWESOME!
I didn’t really have a problem with the book, except that towards the end it got a little boring. I reached a point where I wasn’t really enjoying reading it, but just read on because I wanted to know the end. Also, I didn’t understand the title, and I hate when that happens! If any of you can, do tell me!
I’d give the book a 3.75 on 5! Definitely worth a read!
This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

0 comments:
Post a Comment