This book reads like a dream!
Literally! A dream that would have really loved to see coming true!
The book is based in an India seething with corruption (extremely relatable unfortunately) and traces the journey of ex-defence personnel (called Team-K because all their names begin with K) who take it on themselves to do something about it and give India a chance to be a corruption free nation. Their leader Colonel Krishna, how his personal and professional relationships get intertwined to create a complex trajectory of events forms the basic premise of the book.
Team K follows a logical plan of action, eliminating peripheral bureaucrats, then tainted politicians, and then one major eminent person; in a bid to make the tainted political class fear India and Indians who have taken enough and more in the name of governance.
What to watch out for?
The description of the planning behind the attack. Though the jacket-cover claims that details have been kept vague to prevent misuse, it is good enough to get an idea of how army men train, think, and work. Commendable!
The unity among Team-K. A common shared history of serving the country unites them to an extent that seems implausible in real life! I liked the way their interactions have been worded.
The description of the planning behind the attack. Though the jacket-cover claims that details have been kept vague to prevent misuse, it is good enough to get an idea of how army men train, think, and work. Commendable!
The unity among Team-K. A common shared history of serving the country unites them to an extent that seems implausible in real life! I liked the way their interactions have been worded.
Contemporary. Website, whatsapp, social media, Blackberry, all find a mention in the book. Not only are they integral to the story, but also make it seem very relevant. Putting a context thus becomes very easy.
References to politicians. Be it through familiar names like Karunakaran (Karunanidhi), Hazarika (Hazare) or to references like CWG scam; without taking real names, the author adeptly gets you to realize which incident he is talking about. Of course, not everyone may find the need to do it, I found the story a lot more close to the truth when I ascribed it to real life events and politicians. It’s actually hard to miss! The sarcastic barbs (home minister took his post a little too seriously by claiming homes meant for soldiers, a subtle or not-so-subtle reference to the Adarsh scam) make for good reaing.
The pace. The book really reads like a fast-paced thriller. Even the cuts between situations, especially towards the end when the one final target is being described are very movie-like. If someone were to make this a movie, it would totally thrill someone who watches it without reading the book.
And the filminess continues with the ending of the book being like a very predictable Bollywoodish ending.
This is where I felt really bad. Because the book had a happy ending.
An ending that India deserved and should have had when Anna Hazare brought up a fight against corruption and the country joined him in unprecedented numbers. Alas, it was not to be. Our politicians turned out to a wily lot; and our power restricted to online campaigns, SMSs and candle-light vigils; with no concrete outcomes. Now the parliament will dilly dally the matter, wait till some other problem catches our attention; and this one slowly fizzles out.
As I read the book, I found myself engrossed in the twists and turn and actually praying for the K-Team’s success. I was actually imagining all of it happening in real life, and I promise you it felt great!
But Alas! The real India has no K-Team and I guess I will just have to reconcile to it!
I’d give the book 3.5 on a scale of 5.
If you’re looking for a nice page-turner with the right amount of thrills, twists and turns, emotions, and action, go for it.
If you’re looking for literary genius, logical analyses, serious answers to corruption and ways to curb it, this is not the book for you!
Sunshine Smiles :)
This review is a part of the biggest Book Reviews Program. for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

0 comments:
Post a Comment