Saturday, March 9, 2013

F?@K KNOWS - Shailendra Singh - Book Review


Contrary to most readers who claim they don’t like reading fiction because their own lives are too rocking for them to want to read stories about other people’s lives, I am a big fan of reading fiction! Not like my life isn’t rocking, but I still love the experience of losing myself in a world that I might not live in, in this lifetime!

And among non-fiction, self-help is my least favourite category to read.

But still, why did I decide I want to review F?@K KNOWS by Shailendra Singh? Well, F?@K KNOWS!
And am I glad I read it? F?@K Yeah!

Reading this book was like a long, worthwhile conversation I had with myself. A conversation that was very long overdue too!

The book is basically a lot of gyaan being spewed by the author through short, crisp chapters. Gyaan about what you are doing with your life, how you are not living it to the fullest, what you need to do to live it to be fullest; and also the true meaning of love, sex, wealth, health, everything that matters.

But trust me, this is gyaan explained in the most fun, relatable way possible. And Shailendra Singh does a damn good job of portraying himself as the cool dude, friendly guy, not out to give you a glimpse of the universal truth; while essentially doing just that!

There are chapters that will disturb you (the calculation of 19 years of life), chapters that will make you sit up and take notice of life (the impact that death can have), chapters that will give you a perspective (cheesecake, fit or healthy, rich or wealthy), chapters that will make you say yeah whatever, I’m not doing that (F?@K It list)

Whether you agree with what the book says, or not, it is a good read. If you disagree with everything the author says, the book is a good way to see things from another side. If you agree with most of the things the author says, like I did, this book is like you talking to yourself, and reiterating things you have known, but not consciously thought of in recent times.

 When I read the chapters about following your heart, and the ones on destiny, that talked about how your destination may be pre-decided, but how you get there depends on your choices, I wanted to go hug the author for putting my beliefs in words so effectively.

(@Shailendra Singh – If you are not among the 1000 people I am destined to meet in this lifetime, *virtual hug*)

Apart from all of this, there is one experiment that I loved! For those who aren’t going to read the book, this is how it goes. For a day, every time you eat something, add the same amount of food in the same portion into a glass jar. Do this for every single thing you eat. At the end of the day, take a look at the jar, and you will realize the torture you put your stomach through each day! I am definitely making my brother do this in a bid to get him healthier!

One more amazing bit in the book is the method to help you figure out what you want from life. It’s really simple, and after you read it, you will wonder how you never thought of it! (At least I hadn’t).The method works but I’m not disclosing it in this blog.

I really hope you read the book and find out for yourself!

If you decide to read just one self help book in your life, this one will make for a good choice!
I’d give it 3.75 on a scale of 5!

(P.S. Percept was the first ever company I had applied to for a job, right after I graduated. And though I didn’t realize then, today I look back and realize HOW naive and silly my answers in that interview were; when the lady from HR sweetly told me she’s get back. I didn’t get disheartened though, and followed my dreams, and found my true calling. Maybe it’s one of destiny’s masterstrokes that the one self-help book I decide to read is written by the owner of Percept and advises me to follow my heart!)

Sunshine Smiles! :)



This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

0 comments:

Post a Comment