Sunday, February 24, 2013

When The Signal Turns Red - Book Review

Got this book as an unexpected gift and was more than happy to receive it!

If you're looking for a sweet, simple love story that anyone and everyone can relate to at some level, this is a very good pick.

Two diverse families, a traditional Maharashtrian household and that of a retired army person get distinct identities in the book. Through small details, the author vividly creates a picture of both the households before the readers' eyes. 

Another thing I really liked about the book was the fact that it is very contemporary. Right from SMS, to looking at Facebook, to checking results on a website, to the pride and aspiration of working in MNCs, everything is what youngsters of today can most definitely relate to.

Relationships have been described beautifully. Be it the apparent distance between a young boy and his father, a young girl who grows up to become her mother's friend but still remains daddy's princess who needs to be protected, and the emotions that a young, modern, couple in love face; they are brought out in words that really touch a chord.

Being at the age that I am, just done with MBA and happy in a new job; I could totally relate to the discussions about marriage! Be it the arguments about who should pick the groom, to how important a job is, to each set of parents basking in their kids' achievements, the book will seem very close and at-home to today's youngsters who are living with their parents and still take them into confidence before any important decisions.

That being said, I think a lot of people will find the story too filmy. If you've grown up on a healthy diet of romantic novels and movies you will probably be able to predict many incidents in this book. But it still doesn't get boring because it's written quite well. And it still has stuff that's not very mundane and heard of. An incident in the mall (I will not divulge details but if you read the book you'll know) I thought was innovative and quite smartly done!

And because I am a big fan of filmy endings, (both happy and sad) I liked the end of this one too. The drama, the idea, the masala, was perfect!

But the book just ended too quickly. I read it from cover to cover in one go. It had just 1-2 major moments of drama. What I would've liked was a lot more twists and turns and a lot more funny incidents before the end. I hope that will happen in the books to come! because when a story starts off well, and gives you a WOW moment, and ends before giving you more of those; it's a little disappointi!

I had a great time reading the book, but would have liked to be a lot more!

2.75 on  a scale of 5! :)  

Sunshine Smiles! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment