So, I read this book at one go. Start to end. Because once I started, I was hooked! They say a book is a film that happens in the mind of a reader. And the one in my mind would get a 4.5 on 5 stars!
Ravi Subramanian has absolutely nailed it when it comes to characters. So much so that when they are bumped off, you find yourself going ‘WTF just happened!’ In his own words, when it comes to thrillers, killing off characters is a professional hazard, and with this page turner he sort of more than makes up for his killings!
Without getting into any kind of moral policing or judgement on the right or wrong of some of their actions, It was a pleasure to read about women characters that were headstrong, powerful, and got their way around.
When I first read that this was about Bitcoins, I read up on bitcoins because I did not want to be at a loss of understanding. In the course of reading I realized I didn’t need to. Be it finance or technology, you can totally read and enjoy the book with no expert knowledge of either.
If at all there was one problem, I would say too many stories in one! Too many plots that could get the reader a tab bit confused (I was), but then I guess that makes reading it a wholesome experience. You get more than you asked for!
Writing style is fast, edgy, without the language ever getting too overpowering. Without making you rush to a dictionary, this one is a tale well told, and makes some profound points too. My personal favourite is this (not reproduced verbatim): You don’t have to look too far behind. You only need to go back till the point where the person has not thought that far ahead.
While in the book, this one refers to finding the whereabouts of a suspect, I sort of feel it philosophically relates to life too. Even to find out your true calling, ou just need to look back till he point where your soul hasn’t looked that far ahead and evaluated possibilities already. At that stage, when it has not thought ahead, whatever it delights in, is your true calling!
When it comes to the internet, there are two things that get talked about a lot. One is the veil of anonymity it provides, and second is the trail back or the fact that nothing can be erased forever every easily. In some corner of the Universe, in an innocuous format of 1s and 0s, it all stays. Both these have been very effectively weaved into the story. And they not just carry the story ahead but really impact ho the story turns out to end and continue. I believe that’s what makes a good story. You pick up every day facts and present them in a context that is very real, but also unique enough to not happen all the time.
P.S. - LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED the cover too!
P.S. - LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED the cover too!
All in all, this was one fantastic read. And I kind of hate that I don’t know about Ravi Subramanian’s next book already!
Also, I really hope someone picks this one up to make a movie. Considering the trash that Bollywood abounds in, this one might be a much-needed relief if made well!
4.5 on 5 for me. And don’t ask why not 5. Because, Just! My wish!
Sunshine Smiles! : )
This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!


0 comments:
Post a Comment